The purpose of the housing support service is to prevent the risk of homelessness and to provide support with maintaining current tenancies.
The Housing Team take referrals from case managers within Forward Leeds. The team supports with benefit issues, arrears arising from non-payment of utility bills, council tax arrears, rent arrears, housing benefit and discretionary housing payment. Also, eviction notices, conditions of the property, unsuitable housing, disabilities affecting current housing situation and fleeing domestic abuse. Once referred by the case manager an assessment will take place, this is to establish needs and outcomes.
The aim of the Housing Support service is to help people in treatment, and their families, to live independently in the community.
The team have a close relationship with Leeds Housing Options and the city wide housing offices. They also have good links with other registered social landlords. These links help and support service users to remain in their tenancy where possible. As housing support workers they will explore all options that are available to the individual.
The team can assist in the following areas;
- Support with completing housing applications
- Support and assistance with an assessment being completed by LCC
- Assist with viewings of a property
- Assist with sign up’s of a tenancy
- Liaising with benefits agencies with the service user
- Write support letters where appropriate
- Apply for white goods, furniture by contacting other charity organisations
- Assist with application to Welfare Support Scheme
- Assist with applying for a budgeting loan
- Liaise with LCC in regards to tenancy issues and an individual’s vulnerabilities
- Refer onto other agencies if longer term housing support is needed.
- Can assist with medical assessment for ESA and PIP by attending for support
- Refer to debt agencies / negotiate affordable payments for priority and non-priority debts
- Working closely with other teams within Forward Leeds to provide the best support available to the service user to help with the housing in treatment and recovery.
- We hold a drop in service for housing advice / support in each hub.
- We will meet you at a place that is safe or conduct home visits as well as arrange appointments at the hub you are attending.